Joint Activities Manager
2785 White Bear Ave North, Maplewood, MN
Annual Salary Range: $66,053 - $98,097
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy is looking for a dynamic leader, skilled in collaboration, to lead joint county activities related to the counties’ solid and hazardous waste programs. R&E is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington Counties to coordinate waste programs between the two counties, and to own and operate the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center, in Newport Minnesota. (www.morevaluelesstrash.com).
This is a management position that will lead, manage and supervise the R&E joint activities programs. An example of one of the joint activities programs is BizRecycling (www.bizrceycling.com). The person in this position reports to the Joint Leadership Team.
The person in this position should have strong supervisory skills, the ability to work in a matrix-management environment, experience in project management and strategic planning, and strong interpersonal skills. The work will include program planning and implementation; supervising the activities of up to ten R&E Board staff and interns working on joint activities; leading and coordinating the work of 10—15 county staff in a matrix management approach from Ramsey and Washington Counties working on joint activities; developing recommendations for joint activities on behalf of the two counties; and making budget recommendations. Knowledge of the solid waste system in the East Metro area and county solid waste master plans for waste management is important in being able to carry out this work.
This is professional work, primarily in these areas:
- Supervise, assign, review, set priorities and evaluate the work of professional and technical R&E Board staff assigned to joint activities programs;
- Coordinate the work of Ramsey and Washington County staff assigned to work on R&E Board Joint Activities, working in collaboration with the county supervisors of those assigned staff;
- Direct day-to-day operations of the R&E Board’s joint activities programs, including business outreach programs, general awareness and outreach programs, and community involvement activities;
- Manage the creation, improvement, and implementation of technical assistance programs related to waste reuse, reduction, recycling and management for businesses, institutions and other units of government;
- Develop plans for changes or improvements in the R&E Board’s joint activities programs;
- Prepare and manage program budgets;
- Participate in community engagement activities;
- Work closely with staff from Ramsey and Washington Counties on planning and policy development.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in an environmental field such as environmental health, environmental studies, environmental science; public health; the natural sciences; communications, behavioral sciences, business administration, public administration or a related field.
- Experience: Five years of experience in public sector service delivery, preferably, but not necessarily, related to waste management, environmental health, environmental services, environmental science, public health or a related field. At least two years of experience supervising staff, which can be part of the five years of public sector experience, or at least two years of private sector supervisory experience in addition to the five years of public sector experience.
- Substitution: A Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for two years of the required experience.