Recycling & Energy Joint Activities Manager
Ramsey and Washington Counties, Minnesota
2785 White Bear Ave North, Maplewood, MN
Annual Salary Range: $66,053 - $98,097
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is looking for a dynamic leader, skilled in collaboration, to lead activities related to Ramsey and Washington Counties’ recycling programs, including BizRecycling (bizrecycling.com) and solid and hazardous waste programs. This position reports to senior leadership staff from Ramsey and Washington Counties.
R&E is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington Counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties (joint activities), and owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center in Newport Minnesota (www.morevaluelesstrash.com).
The successful candidate will have strong supervisory skills, the ability to work in a cross functional, cross county environment, experience in project management and strategic planning, and strong interpersonal skills. The work will include program planning and implementation; supervising the activities of up to ten R&E Board staff and interns working on joint activities; leading and coordinating the work of 10—15 county staff in a matrix management approach from Ramsey and Washington Counties working on joint activities; developing recommendations for joint activities on behalf of the two counties; and making budget recommendations. Knowledge of the solid waste system in the East Metro area and county solid waste master plans for waste management is important in being able to carry out this work.
This is professional work, primarily in these areas:
- Supervise, assign, review, set priorities and evaluate the work of professional and technical R&E staff assigned to joint activities programs;
- Coordinate the work of Ramsey and Washington County staff assigned to work on R&E joint activities, working in collaboration with the county supervisors of those assigned staff;
- Direct day-to-day operations of the R&E’s joint activities programs, including business outreach programs, general awareness and outreach programs, and community involvement activities;
- Manage the creation, improvement, and implementation of technical assistance programs related to waste reuse, reduction, recycling and management for businesses, institutions and other units of government.
- Develop plans for changes or improvements in R&E’s joint activities programs;
- Prepare and manage program budgets;
- Participate in community engagement activities;
- Work closely with staff from Ramsey and Washington Counties on planning and policy development.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in an environmental field such as environmental health, environmental studies, environmental science; public health; the natural sciences; communications, behavioral sciences, business administration, public administration or a related field.
Experience: Five years of experience in public sector service delivery, preferably, but not necessarily, related to waste management, environmental health, environmental services, environmental science, public health or a related field. At least two years of experience supervising staff, which can be part of the five years of public sector experience, or at least two years of private sector supervisory experience in addition to the five years of public sector experience.
Substitution: A Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for two years of the required experience.
A detailed job description can be found here: Joint Activities Manager Job Description
To apply for a R&E Board job, all of the following are required to be completed.
Complete the job application
Thoroughly answer all supplemental questions
Send job application and supplemental questions to HR@recyclingandenergy.org. A cover letter and resume are not required but can be included with the job application and supplemental questions.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.